Drive to Net Zero Home Competition Qualification
Awards & Benefits
- 1st Place: $5,000
- 2nd Place: $2,000
- 3rd Place: $1,000
Qualifications & Requirements
- The competition weighs five criteria: 1. Lowest overall HERS Index (technical); 2. Lowest HERS index prior to renewables technologies (technical); 3. Most affordable project, cost per square foot (technical and will be treated confidentially); 4. The home’s estimated total annual net operating cost using REM/Rate (technical); 5. Technological innovation (judged).
- All homes entered in the competition must participate in the NH Utilities NHSaves ENERGY STAR Homes program. Projects are also eligible for Home Energy Rating services and NH ENERGY STAR Homes incentives.
- The home must earn the ENERGY STAR Label.
- Homes must be completed and in move-in condition.
- Homes will be inspected and tested by one of the NH Utilities certified HERS raters during construction and at the completion of home.
- All renewables must be installed and operational at final inspection to be considered for scoring.
- The home must be built in the service territory of one of the participating utilities (e.g., Eversource, Liberty, New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, Unitil).
- Builders may be eligible for additional promotional activities including advertising, media events, website profiling, publications and a final awards ceremony.
- Throughout the process, each builder agrees to occasional inspections, will need to take photos to support the renewable energy and/or technologies involved (especially those that will be inaccessible at completion), and monitoring and evaluations in order to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations of the challenge.